Monday 20 June 2011

More Experiments - Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50

Today I was browsing through all the filters and lenses my grandad has given me - looking through them, playing with settings, putting them up to my Nikon D40 etc.

One of the lenses I did this with was the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50, and when I looked through it, I found what I saw to be pretty amazing. When I looked through it just with my eye and held my finger up in front, I could see every tiny piece of dust or dirt and every little line or groove on my skin, so obviously I then set my Nikon D40 up on my tripod to take photos of various awesome-looking things through the lens.

I used the self timer to take the photos, so I had chance to get the lens in the right place in front of my Nikon and hold it there with both hands. Even then, I still found it quite tricky to get the focus just right and the settings right on my Nikon for a good exposure.

These are some of the photos I took this way of one of the cacti in the kitchen:





And just for comparison, this is the most close up it’s possible to get with my Nikon D40 and normal lens:


Pretty darn cool I reckon. I also took one successful one of my finger which was what amazed me so much in the first place. I found that sometimes it was really easy to get the focus of everything right and sometimes really difficult. I thought a photo like these of an eye would be pretty awesome but I just couldn't seem to get it right, even when I got my mom to stand in front of it so I could see what I was doing.









I've also always liked taking photos of reflections in other lenses so I did some of that as well and got some photos I like:




No comments:

Post a Comment